James Kass wrote:

But, I'm still curious about COMBINING ENCLOSING CIRCLE.  As it
stands, users can generate plain text ordered lists and so forth
using encircled letters and digits, as long as they are using Latin,
Hangul, or Katakana.  But, they can't if they are users of other
scripts like Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Bengali, ...  unless the COMBINING
ENCLOSING CIRCLE is considered valid for this purpose.

Is there any reason it can't? I thought that was what it was for: it combines by enclosing the previous character. What does it do, if not that?

~mark