> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf
> Of E. Keown

> >No, the decisions regarding the characters above
> >have already been made:
> >WG2 approved these characters at their June meeting,
>
> I don't understand.  In theory the standards world is
> international and has *some* checks and balances---far
> fewer, it would seem, since about 1988.
>
> Do these 31 member countries ballot electronically or
> not?

The ISO process has not changed in this regard. There are letter ballots
(handled by snail mail or by email), and votes taken at meetings (those
meetings being announced in advance). Countries can choose to attend
meetings or not, and can choose to respond to the letter ballots or not.

As I explained, JTC1/SC2/WG2 met in June and voted to approve the
addition of those two characters in Amd1. In more detail, a national
body had commented in a letter ballot on the previous draft that these
two characters should be added, the editor proposed to respond to those
comments by adding the two characters, and the national bodies
represented at the WG2 meeting voted to approve that disposition of
those comments. After WG2 reviewed all of the comments and voted on how
they should be resolved, SC/2 in their plenary meeting endorsed the
resolution of comments. Procedurally, this is all well-established
process.

Based on the approved resolution of comments, the editor prepares a new
draft that is distributed for letter ballot. This will be sent to
participating and observing countries, all of whom may submit comments,
but only the former will be sent ballots for voting. Again, this is all
following long-established ISO process.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division