On 2004.10.02, 00:30, Kenneth Whistler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the *obvious* alternative:
>
> U+0367 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER U
<...>
> you just design a ligature in it to represent the sequence
> <0062, 0367, 0067>.

This seems indeed the best way to go (IMOVVHO), *if* the said squiggle
is indeed an "u". If not, as I suspect, but rather an all-purpose mark
to differentiate similar letters (like the already mentioned German
use of a U+016D-looking glyph for handwritten lowercase "u", otherwise
identical to "n" -- note also that the orginal post mentioned that the
abbreviation "bg" is added this mark when meaning "-burg", while "bg"
alone means "-berg"), then the solution should be different, possibly
using some kind of breve (double, single, combining, zero-width, what
not).

António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                         |  ()|
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                                        |####|
PT-1___-___ LISBOA                       Não me invejo de quem tem    |
+351 934 821 700                         carros, parelhas e montes    |
http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/     só me invejo de quem bebe    |
http://pagina.de/bandeiras/              a água em todas as fontes    |