Hi,

Philippe Verdy had written:
For example, a ligaturing opportunity can be encoded explicitly
in the French word "efficace": "ef"+ZWJ+"f"+ZWJ+"icace". [...]
in French there's a possible hyphenation at the first occurence,
where it is also a syllable break, but not for the second occurence
that occurs in the middle of the second syllable.

Doug Ewell wrote:
a system that is capable of high-quality typography [...]
should generate ff-type ligatures and perform  sensible hyphenation by default.
 You can then use ZWNJ to turn ligation *off* where it is not desired.

In German, however, a ligature must not span a syllable break. How should I code plain text, w.r.t. hyphenation and ligatures? - "Huf" + ZWNJ + "lattich" - "Huf" + SYH + "lattich" - "Huf" + SYH + ZWNJ + "lattich" - "Huf" + ZWNJ + SYH + "lattich"

Note that there is no algorithm to reliably derive the position of the
syllable break from the spelling of a Word. You could even concoct pairs
of homographs that differ only in the position of the syllable break
(and, consequently, in their respective meaning). So far, I have only
found the somewhat silly example
- "Brief"+SYH+"lasche" (letter flap) vs.
- "Brie"+SYH+"flasche" (bottle to keep Brie cheese in),
but I am sure I could find better examples if I would try in earnest.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz