Thanks for the many replies. I learned that
Arial Unicode MS version 1.01 is most current and shipped with Office 2003.
I called it OpenFont. Sorry! I double-clicked on its icon - whith a colored "OT" - in \WINDOWS\Fonts again it says after version 1.xx "(Opent Type)". I took that to mean Open Source or something more open than MS's restrictive policy about it. I still claim it does not deserve the label OPEN at present.

I was disappointed to see only fixed-width or bitmapped unicode fonts under Linux, I'll try some.
Can they just be copied into \WINDOWS\Fonts as is the easiest 'installation' of ttf-fonts ?
Vice versa MS-fonts can be installed under Linux, but I have not been able to find the right parameters yet.
With bwhebb.ttf I had success!

SIL-fonts and TITUS have been called legacy or not up to date in our forum and I found them disappointing for my purposes: Predictable display and print of sequences of base + combining diacritical sequence in ordinary e-mails on all systems.

Peter