John Hudson scripsit:

> OpenType is a trademark of Microsoft and a proprietary font format
> jointly developed by Microsoft and Adobe.

The question is, is it an open standard?  That is, is anyone free to
create OpenType fonts, OpenType font tools, OpenType font renderers?
Is the documentation freely available at no more than nominal cost?

> Unicode is a text encoding standard. Fonts and other software implement
> the standard. The 'openness' of the standard doesn't imply anything about
> the 'openness' of the software.

Indeed.

> Font developers are under no obligation to provide you with free fonts.
> Do you not charge for your work? If you want fonts to be freely
> available, you have to find some way to pay for their development,

I think it's more accurate to say that you need to find a way to
compensate the font developer for his effort; this need not involve money.
I, for example, create programs and give them to people for a reward I
consider sufficient; professionally, I write bespoke software which is
not useful to anyone but my employer; some 90% of all software written
is in this class.

(Are there bespoke fonts which the buyer keeps to himself?)

--
Using RELAX NG compact syntax to        John Cowan
develop schemas is one of the simple    http://www.reutershealth.com