Doug Ewell scripsit:

> "When faced with [an] ill-formed code unit sequence while transforming
> or interpreting text, a conformant process must treat the first code
> unit... as an illegally terminated code unit sequence -- for example, by
> signaling an error, filtering the code unit out, or representing the
> code unit with a marker such as U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER."

Plan 9, the original all-UTF-8 environment (it was translated
in a single day from Latin-1 to UTF-8), represents ill-formed code unit
sequences with the otherwise useless U+0080, on the grounds that an
ill-formed code is semantically different from an untranslatable
character, which is the purpose of U+FFFD.

--
LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy?      John Cowan
FOOL: All thy other titles              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan