John H. Jenkins writes:
> As you say, the main problem is that there are so many different
> possible sets. Some will be proprietary, which would limit their
[...]

IMHO the CASS radical set would be the one to use for this. It has the
support of a major national body and is used in several dictionaries,
including Xiandai Hanyu Cidian and John DeFrancis' ABC Dictionary.

I expect too that generating a CASS radical index could be done
automatically using the kRSKangXi field in Unihan and the mapping
table between CASS and KangXi radical numbers in DeFrancis - kRSCASS
would make sense.

Are all of the CASS radicals themselves encoded in Unicode?

    -tree

Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com