Lars Kristan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> All assigned codepoints do roundtrip even in my concept.
> But unassigned codepoints are not valid data.

Please make up your mind: either they are valid and programs are
required to accept them, or they are invalid and programs are required
to reject them.

> Furthermore, I was proposing this concept to be used, but not
> unconditionally. So, you can, possibly even should, keep using
> whatever you are using.

So you prefer to make programs misbehave in unpredictable ways
(when they pass the data from a component which uses relaxed rules
to a component which uses strict rules) rather than have a clear and
unambiguous notion of a valid UTF-8?

> Perhaps I can convert mine, but I cannot convert all filenames on
> a user's system.

They you can't access his files.

With your proposal you couldn't as well, because you don't make them
valid unconditionally. Some programs would access them and some would
break, and it's not clear what should be fixed: programs or filenames.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]