On 4 Jun 2010, at 10:47, William_J_G Overington wrote:

> I noticed the use of colours other than black and white in several groups of
> emoji.

No, you have noticed the use of the strings ASCII RED and GREEN and BLUE and
ORANGE in some UCS character names.

> What I find interesting is that colours other than black are often
> represented by line hatching of the Petra Sancta type in the example glyphs.

I used standard European hatching as found in ordinary books on British and
Irish heraldry.

> Most of them seem to follow Petra Sancta style, yet a few do not.

Because I did not reference Silvester Petra Sancta or Marcus Vulson de la
Colombière.

> For example, U+1F34E RED APPLE and U+1F34F GREEN APPLE do follow Petra Sancta
> style.

This is standard British and Irish hatching for Gules and Vert.

> U+1FD47 GREEN BOOK and U+1FD48 BLUE BOOK do follow Petra Sancta.

This is standard British and Irish hatching for Vert and Azure.

> U+1FD49 ORANGE BOOK has an interesting example glyph.

This is standard British and Irish hatching for Tenné.

You omitted to mention Purpure and Or.

> In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_system there is a graphic of the
> shadings and I found that clicking on the graphic leads to a page for the
> graphic from where I was able to download a full resolution 908 by 509 pixels
> version. I then displayed the file in Microsoft Paint at 8x resolution.

Zounds, William, who do you think needs to know this kind of detail? Not a one
of us, I am sure, cares about the number of pixels in the Wikipedia graphic.

> The hatching used in the example glyph is indeed one of the several hatchings
> shown for orange.

For Tenné.

> The document does not purport that Petra Sancta hatching has been used.

No, it does not.

> Yet if the example glyph for U+1F536 LARGE ORANGE DIAMOND is interpreted as
> if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would be blue.
>
> If the example glyph for U+1F537 LARGE BLUE DIAMOND is to be interpreted as
> if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would not be the usual hatching
> for blue.

There are, it appears, incorrect glyphs for the orange and blue diamonds in the
chart. This will need to be taken up with the editorial committee.

> I noticed also that if the example glyph for U+1F530 JAPANESE SYMBOL FOR
> BEGINNER if interpreted as hatched in Petra Sancta style is yellow and green
> (or maybe gold and green?).

Or and Vert.