> That's because what THEY did was to take
> an Arial-like Latin R as the basis for the design.

Wrong assertion!

The designer used Hindi-alphabet "Ra" as the basis.
Then he tweaked its curve giving a similar look like English-alphabet
"R" without left vertical bar.

> Yes, indeed I did. And this is just what we do for the
> EURO SIGN (a C with bars), the YEN SIGN (a Y with bars) and so on.
> See http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/euroglyph.html for example.

That is nice of Michael Everson to tell so!
But term like "plagiarism" and phrases like "Copyright abuse" go with
it as well :-')
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n3862.pdf

> Though the Government of India have put forward a proposal.

Government of India proposed to ISO

> You'd better hope so.

Not "hope" from my side,
but ISO has no choice but to approve

> I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

I think it is a good quality to be apologetic,
thanks Michael!

Tulasi