On 13 October 2010 17:48, Doug Ewell <d...@ewellic.org> wrote:

>> Incidentally, many of the new symbols in Unicode 6 are available in
>> the Symbola font from George Douros, and they can be seen in Firefox:
>> http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
>
> At the risk of spreading unsubstantiated FUD, I experienced system
> crashes (BSOD) twice in one day while trying to configure the
> composite-font feature in BabelPad 6.0.0.0 (beta D) to use Symbola 6.00
> on Windows XP SP3.
>
> I don't know yet whether the problem was with the font or BabelPad (or
> something else), but I hadn't seen a BSOD on that machine for six months
> or more.  Given the stability of BabelPad, even beta copies, I'm
> inclined to suspect the font.

Unfortunately this is a known issue with BabelPad and BabelMap, and
not the fault of Symbola. The blue screen crash occurs somewhere
within a call to ExtTextOutW() when sandwiched between BeginPath() and
EndPath(), when an attempt is made to render one of the mega-complex
glyphs in Symbola (e.g. the glyph for U+1F5FD STATUE OF LIBERTY ...
which in fact is not the Statue of Liberty, which is actually at
U+FFFED). This is the reason why the Unicode 6.0 betas of
BabelMap/BabelPad have been taken off line, and their release delayed
for a few days whilst I implement an alternate strategy. My apologies
to any users who encounter this issue.

Andrew