Vinod Kumar <rigvi...@gmail.com> wrote as follows.

quote

We have demonstrated that an ordered sequence of context sensitive glyph
substitutions as implemented by the GSUB tables in Open Fonts are necessary and
sufficient for shaping all the nine Indian scripts.

end quote

In view of this, I am wondering whether my eutofont font format presents a path
for research in using fonts in mobile applications, though also in desktop
applications as well.

The main inventive feature of the eutofont font format in that a font can all
be expressed using special for-the-purpose plain text characters. At present
those characters are all encoded in the plane 0 Private Use Area. However, if
the system can be made to work in practice and there is enthusiasm, then maybe
a formal proposal to the Unicode Consortium and to ISO can be made for a
permanent, non-proprietary, encoding to be instituted in plane 14 (or
elsewhere, if that is thought better).

The eutofont font format also has chromatic font capabilities.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/eutofont.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/eutofont.PDF

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/eutof04a.PDF

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/typecase_eutofont_research_private_use_area.pdf

http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=696

The eutofont font format as in the eutofont.PDF and eutof04a.PDF documents can
be regarded as the basis for the start of on-going research. Additions can be
made as necessary so as to obtain an improved font format.

William Overington