On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM, JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) <
jpblank...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> Dear unicode.org interested,
>
> I discovered at least 1 flaw in the converter tools I used so far (as
> Verisign's IDN to punycode converter): none of the ones I checkes recognises
> the German character

> (the sz, as from 'Straße' )
>
> correctly, the sign is always dissolved in ss.

This is standard IDNA2003 behavior. It is usually desirable because a) many
German speakers are unsure about when exactly to use ß vs. ss, b) the
spelling reform a few years ago changed the rules, and c) Switzerland does
not use ß at all in German. This means that for most purposes it is
counter-productive (and can be a security risk) to distinguish ß and ss.

IDNA2008, an incompatible update, by itself does not map characters. UTS #46
provides a compatibility bridge for both IDNA2003 and IDNA2008, and the ß
behavior is an option there.

Best regards,
markus