Scríobh 11/11/2010 18:38, Frank da Cruz:
Most people are not even old enough to know what I'm talking about; they
came of age in a Microsoft world.
Make that "born into", rather than "came of age" in many instances, Frank. After an informative and enjoyable seminar on the virtual library in UCD today, I found myself describing with some enthusiasm living with VT100s and the DEC-20 and exchanging text msgs with a friend who was dodging scud missiles during the first Gulf War to an audience of one in the form of a brilliant student who listened politely but without comprehension (before it occurred to me I might be boring her and so made my escape from a gathering from which I learned more than I had brought to it today).
... In any case, DEC's
influence is still felt to this day in that its terminal types (VT100, 220,
320...) are widely emulated on PCs and widely supported by hosts (e.g. in
Unix termcaps/terminfos).  To the extent that the emulation is true, Windows
code pages will break it every time.
Although that is hard to believe, since you have always spoken only the truth in full measure of helpfulness down all the years, I do believe you!

Ádh mór ort (Good luck),
mg
- Frank

--