On 19 Aug 2011, at 15:34, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> On 08/19/2011 07:43 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
>> My question would be why the PUA is designated as 'L' by default at all,
>> instead of, say, 'ON'.
>> do present the impression that these code points are somehow reserved
>> for strong-LTR characters, and also for non-reordrant characters (i.e.
>> no combining marks), neither of which is true.
>
> I entirely agree! There then should be an effort to officially change the BC
> of these characters to ON, would you say? I mean, what kind of
> implementations could such a change affect adversely?

There is plenty of space. There would be no difficulty in assigning some rows
to a RTL PUA. Mucking about with the directionality of the existing PUA would
be extremely unwise.

> Conceivably certain closed user-groups could be using closed-distribution
> rendering engines which would support bidi and glyph reordering or such for
> PUA codepoints.

Not everyone is a programmer and can devise a rendering engine. But lots of
people can make fonts that could support a RTL conscript or some private Arabic
characters.

> In which case, the only change that needs to be done to affirm that the PUA
> can be used for both LTR and RTL scripts is to change the BC of all those
> characters to ON.

I wouldn't support that.