On 7 Oct 2011, at 19:39, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>> There are several solidus (slash) variations.
> > What is the intent of those, in as much there been expressed,
>> in a mathematical context?
>
> Unicode mostly encodes characters that are in use or have been encoded in
> other standards. While not semantically agnostic, it is much less oriented
> towards semantic clarifications and distinctions than many people might hope
> for (and this includes me, some of the time at least).

I am aware of that, but by tracing the origin, one can get hints of usage.

>> For example, is U+2044 intended for rational numbers,
>
> Yes, and the idea behind it is that programs may format such a number in a
> manner typographically suitable for fractions, so that the adjacent numbers
> (digit sequences) are affected. This means that e.g. 1⁄2 may create a
> rendering similar to some of the glyphs for the character ½. You probably
> won’t see this happening in your favorite email program, text editor, web
> browser, or even word processor—it’s just the underlying idea and a
> possibility, not a requirement (or commonly implemented).
>
> On the practical side, it may happen that even by virtue of the different
> shape of U+2044 (vs. U+002F)—it’s typically in a 45° angle, though the
> implementation could be more complicated, even implementing it as horizonal—,
> fractions may look somewhat better. But there’s the risk that U+2044 is not
> present in the font that will be used (or cannot be transmitted when using
> many legacy non-Unicode encodings).

I am playing around with a small parser on top GMP, so input semantics is the
main issue for me. Then I realized that if I let the lexer parse rational
numbers, then 1/2/3/4 will parse as (1/2)/(3/4), and not as ((1/2)/3)/4 as
expected in ASCII computer programs.

But using ⁄ U+2044 FRACTION SLASH as in 1⁄2/3⁄4 = (1/2)/(3/4) becomes
unambiguous with 1/2/3/4 = ((1/2)/3)/4.

>> and U+2215 a long variation of U+002F,
>
> I wouldn’t call it long. Visually, it might be expected to differ from U+002F
> by looking specifically like a division operator (as it _is_ a division
> operator), as opposite to the semantically ambiguous U+002F. If it’s longer,
> I think it’s longer as a consequence of extending from the baseline to a
> specific height in a different slope than U+002F.

If it is not longer, then it unusable as a divisio operator with lower
precedence that the ASCII "/".

>> which can be used to disambiguate a/b/c/d as in a/b∕c/d = (a/b)/(c/d)?
>
> I don’t quite see what you mean, but if I understand the idea correctly, it’s
> not the kind of thing you’re supposed to do. U+2215 is semantically less
> ambiguous than U+002F, but the latter too can be used as a division operator.
> The choice between U+002F and U+2215 does not affect operator precedence.
>
> In fact, the relatively new standard on mathematical notations, ISO 80000-2,
> which identifies the operators by their Unicode numbers, explicitly says that
> the symbol “/” used for division is SOLIDUS U+002F. Maybe they just didn’t
> think of other possibilities, but in any case this indicates that U+2215
> cannot be expected to the normal, or even normative, symbol for division.
>
>> And is U+FF0F intended for non-math use?
>
> As the name FULLWIDTH SOLIDUS says, it’s meant for use instead of SOLIDUS in
> East Asian writing systems. It’s just a wide variant of U+002F. So it may
> have math and non-math use, just as SOLIDUS may.

One can use the characters how one pleases, but it would not be consistent with
its past history. Which is what I suspected and wanted to know. Thanks.

Hans