Mahesh T. Pai wrote

 > PUA isn't necessary, and a font technology that handles elements of
 > complex script shaping by referencing PUAs isn't fundamentally any
 > different from one that uses glyph names or another identifier and
 > leaves the glyph unencoded.

Does one exist? Does it work? (we will leave out the acceptance /
popularity part).

I recall old Arabic layout models that relied on AFII glyph naming, but there are good reasons why such systems were never widely popular and have not persisted. There are also custom Indic layout models still in use that rely on fonts made in particular ways with particular glyph sets, which I would consider similar in that the layout intelligence lies outside the font in the software (in this case in plug-ins for InDesign). Such models tend to be intinsically limited in their capabilities, because the fonts must contain very particular collections of glyphs named (or encoded) in particular ways. Smart font formats such as OpenType, AAT and Graphite, are much more flexible, because one can solve layout problems in more than one way. For example, I have recently been working on a Odia (Oriya) font in which I needed vertically shortened forms of letters in conjunct-initial positions due to technical limitations of the target environment in which the font is used. These are accessed using OpenType contextual GSUB lookups. This is an example of a layout solution that is design-specific, and which would not be possible if I were working in a layout model with a fixed set of recognised identifiers.

I don't know why OT Layout is not yet implemented in Android phones. I can think of a number of possible reasons, a combination of which might apply. One is that the developers simply have not done the work yet, but intend to. Another is that they have concerns about font size on mobile devices, which has delayed support for fonts with large layout tables. Another is that they have security concerns about OTL tables in fonts (Google's webfont sanitiser was stripping OTL tables from fonts served to Chrome for this reason, as I understand; I'm not sure if this has changed yet).

JH