2012-04-25 13:16, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:

I'm really not a technical expert, but what you write rather sounds to
me as if Javascripts UCS-2 implementation were broken...

That’s a misunderstanding. UCS-2 implementation is not the problem. UTF-16 is an issue, but not in modern browsers, as I wrote previously.

Thanks for the linked document.
[…]
    http://dheeb.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/gbu.pdf “Unicode Support
    Shootout - The Good, the Bad & the (mostly) Ugly”

The document discusses many interesting questions, in a somewhat biased manner. It’s not very clear in its description of Unicode in JavaScript, but it makes the point that the tools for processing characters are limited, mostly very limited. This can be really awkward when you would need advanced tools like Unicode regular expressions (JavaScript has just Ascii regexps) or access to character properties as defined in Unicode. But these are at a different level than the question whether non-BMP characters can be used.

Yucca