Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> So shops need to add "TL" before the new symbol when displaying prices
> !!! In other words, they did not even need the symbol except with its
> strict design for the banknotes and coins (where the full name of the
> currency is also displayed...), but the Turkish law mat require they
> display the symbol.

This is why I called it a great fallacy to believe that a new currency
symbol would bestow prestige, respectability, stability, etc. on the
Turkish lira or any other currency.

The U.S. dollar, British pound, Japanese yen, etc. did not achieve
stability and widespread acceptance because they had special symbols.
Instead, the special symbols are widely recognized because they are
associated with currencies known to be stable and widely accepted. Note
also that the German mark was pretty much always just "DM", and the
Swiss franc has always been "CHF" or "SFr", and those symbol-less
currencies seemed to have held their own.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­