2012-07-10 13:50, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

Asmus Freytag, Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:32:47 -0700:
[…]
The proper thing to do would be to add these usages to the list of
examples of known contextually defined usages of punctuation
characters, they are common enough that it's worth pointing them out
in order to overcome a bit of the inherent bias from Anglo-Saxon
usage.
[…]
Where do I find the (existing) examples? In the PDF version of the
spec?

I’m not sure what Asmus meant, but I have thought that we are primarily discussing the annotations in the code charts, such as
http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf
Information extracted from those charts is also available, perhaps in more useful ways, e.g. in the UniBook Character Browser, the BabelPad editor, and the Fileformat.info website (though they are not always up-to-date and they are not normative sources of information).

For instance, would be possible, in the the
NamesList, or some other field that look-up tools uses, to get a link
from e.g. COLON to DIVISION SIGN, and vice versa?

No, I don’t think that’s possible. But the code charts are what people use, or should use, so they are suitable for the purpose, even though they don’t use hyperlinks but just verbal references. (Hyperlinks are possible in PDF format, too, of course, but setting them up can be a major effort.)

My candidate characters, this round, are:

  DIVISION SIGN (÷) as minus sign.
          COLON (:) as division sign.
     MIDDLE DOT (·) as multiplication symbol.

Well, MIDDLE DOT is relatively often used as multiplication symbol, so it might be notified, but according to ISO 80000-2, the correct dot-like multiplication symbol is DOT OPERATOR. There’s a possibility of creating misunderstandings if MIDDLE DOT is explicitly mentioned as a multiplication symbol. Such usage is indirectly referred to, or at least alluded to, by the cross-reference (of type “see also”) to 22C5 DOT OPERATOR in the chart.

Yucca