I suggest to use MS Word.
It's useful to activate the (mostly unknown) "Confirm conversion at Open" option.

Interesting - Word lets you choose the encoding of textfiles even without this option enabled; turning it on seems to (1) enable a mandatory additional menu to pick a sort of file format (rtf, xml, "Plain Text" (?), "Encoded text", ...) before entering the choice of encoding dialogue for opening files and (2) turn on the (otherwise inaccessible) choice of encoding dialogue for saving files (which conveniently displays unencodable characters in red).

Though I must say that all these menus could benefit from user interface improvement (for one thing, they're visually too small), and the documentation of commercial and that of "free" software leave me equally unimpressed. But what you pointed us to is very good to know.

Stephan