On 11/08/2012 09:00 PM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
On 11/8/2012 4:39 PM, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
I stand by it: we don't encode what would be cool to have. We encode what people *use*.

Actually, there are certain instances where characters are encoded based on expected usage.

What these examples have in common is that they reflect a small number of characters with an "instant" user community that's well defined and understood (and appropriate to the type of character). The main reason for the restriction to "encode what people use" is that characters cannot be retracted if the hoped for enthusiasm for them doesn't materialize.

The other reason is that the Unicode Standard is a standard - what it encodes needs to be worthy of standardization. There are exceptional instances where "leading" standardization can be justified - they are few and far between, but they exist. As exceptions prove the rule - the majority of characters will continue to be cases where standardization follows demonstrated use.

Well said; and I accept the correction to my position. It does happen, but not very often and not without good reason.

~mark