Buck Golemon wrote:

The status of these 5 characters is already in the best fit mappings
document pointed to by the IANA registry entry for windows-1252,
which is strong as I’m willing to go for them.

I don't understand the relation between bestfit1252 and cp1252. Could
you clarify it for me?
If I read the mapping file right, bestfit1252 declares a definition of
cp1252, so it would make sense (to me) if the corresponding parts of
the two files matched.
As far as I can see, the w3c-cp1252 corresponds to bestfit1252.

The best-fit mapping tables comprise not only an MBTABLE ("multibyte"), which maps code points in the Microsoft code page to Unicode, but also a WCTABLE ("wide character"), which maps in the other direction.

In this case, the MBTABLE in the 1252 best-fit table does match the WHATWG definition of 1252—it's a rather obvious and straightforward extension. But neither mapping table was derived directly from the other, and the MBTABLE is an extension of 1252, not an attempt to redefine it.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­