2012-12-21 21:05, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

My Moscow Russian-Norwegian from 1987 and my Pocket Oxford Russian
Dictionary from 2003 agree that both list words on Ё and Е under the
same category – namely, under the letter Е.

This appears to be the case in any serious dictionary.

The use of the Cyrillic letter yo (ё, called IO in the Unicode name) has varied through ages, but it has never been a dominant spelling to use it. According to “The World’s Writing Systems”, edited by Peter T. Daniels and William Bright (Oxford University Press, 1995), “The letter ё is used virtually only in dictionaries or language textbooks.” It may have become more popular in the Internet, but still less common than using the letter ye (IE, е) in its stead.

Fact is, again, that ёлка - "in the wild" - can be written ёлка and
елка.

And in most contexts, it is written “елка”.

It is of course possible that some people would prefer treating “ё” as a primarily different letter. But it’s rather illogical to require that it be treated that way at the start of a word only. I don’t think collation rules need to accommodate such preferences.

Yucca