> UTF-256 allows each hex digit of UTF-32 to be expressed as an ASCII hex digit
> (characters 0-9 and A-F encoded as bytes 0x30-0x39 and 0x41-0x46).

In my experience, I lose an entire block of a disk, or track, or drive, so
redundancy at the character level isn’t likely to be very helpful, you’d need a
minimum of 2 blocks/character following that logic.  Fortunately you did
mention the scalability of UTF-256.

Historically, my biggest challenge with electronic data over time is being able
to read the file… Nothing’s really “plain text”, so formats (and media) evolve
and change.  Reading/converting my old C64 or Amiga stuff is a bit difficult
these days.

-Shawn