Hi,

How is the placement of vowel marks around ligatures handled in Arabic text?

Does anyone have good pointers on this topic?

My guess is that this does not come up often (just like the topic of pointing for handwritten Hebrew), as vowel marks are mostly not added in ordinary text. Nonetheless, any text making heavy use of ligatures will from time to time need to add vowel marks for a foreign name or as a reading aid, and (as many of us know) the Quran is traditionally printed with vowel marks.

I'm also wondering how font designers normally handle this. I think there are analogous questions for various ligature-heavy abugidas, so there must be an existing body of knowledge. There should be better answers than "squeeze the vowels around the consonant clusters in whatever way seems most intuitive". Do traditional printing presses use extra metal types for such glyph clusters, or do they manually add and adjust the positioning of vowels?

Stephan