Peter, The "weird trick" in the HTML font command to get it to display on IE 8 was "serif." When I first posted (having copied over text from a Word document with formatting - another in the list of not so good practices), some N'Ko text showed but most was empty boxes. On looking at the HTML in Blogger, I found that the visible text was where the span/font command included serif after DejaVu Sans. Anything without "serif" - including DejaVu Sans alone - produced the empty boxes. Probably the generic serif command let the system find another font?

Wrt IE 11, I will have to go back to that computer. Actually it was in a public library - not a bad way to get an idea of how a random system might see content in a script like N'Ko.

(This also brings to mind a policy-related item on computer systems in countries where diverse scripts are used: That on various levels, incentives or regulations should be in place mandating inclusion of relevant fonts to facilitate display of languages/scripts in the country. Back in 2008, I had the experience of not being able to display extended Latin characters of Bambara on new Windows systems in the business center of a major hotel in Bamako, Mali. I'm quite sure that most computer systems in hotels, cyber cafés, government offices, and the few schools that have them in that country, will not be able to display N'Ko or Tifinagh properly, even if extended Latin is by now more widely supported.)

Don