Leo Broukhis <leob at mailcom dot com> wrote:

What I don't like about PRI #399 is its proposing to use default-
ignorable characters. On a non-vexillology-aware platform, I'd like
to see something informative, albeit not resembling a flag, but
indicative of the intention to display a flag, like RIS can be, as
opposed to nondescript white flags.

This is just a personal prediction, but I'd guess that once the PRI #299 mechanism hits the streets, U+1F3F3 WAVING WHITE FLAG will be used overwhelmingly for tag sequences and comparatively seldom on its own. When a reader sees 🏳, it might be relatively safe to assume the writer intended to display a specific flag.

I don't know what the original impetus for adding U+1F3F3 was. That might help us predict how popular U+1F3F3 will be on its own. Maybe one of the Emoji Gurus can help out here.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ