On 7/6/2015 8:18 AM, Doug Ewell wrote:
Most platforms display unknown printable characters as white
> rectangles with hex digits in them.
> In Doug's message, I saw a rectangle with 01F in the upper row, and
> 3F3 in the lower row.
This is a handy feature, at least for character geeks like us, but "most
platforms" might be a bit misleading here. There is a rather commonly
used platform that starts with the letter W which does not do this.

I use Windows, and I see these little rectangles quite commonly - that is because I use browser and e-mail client from an organization that starts with the letter M (ha, that's ambiguous: not the same M as the one for W).

As these are where I see most externally originated stuff, my experience does not depend primarily on the OS.

A./