Doug, et al --

The primordial statement you're looking for is in TUS, Chapter 1 and has been there forever. See:

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch01.pdf

In section 1.1, page 3:

*Note, however, that the Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private-use characters, nor does it encode logos or graphics.*

I'm not sure UTC has ever made any specific pronouncement on the topic, but they do sometimes add things to the notice of non-approvals, which can generally be taken as a precedent.

http://unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html

If there is any such statement from the UTC, Ken Whsitler would probably be the one who could put his hand upon it most quickly. :-)

R.