Le 16/10/2015 02:22, Don Osborn a écrit :
I was surprised to learn of continued reference to and presumably use of 8-bit fonts modified two decades ago for the extended Latin alphabets of Malian languages, and wondered if anyone has similar observations in other countries. Or if there have been any recent studies of adoption of Unicode fonts in the place of local 8-bit fonts for extended Latin (or non-Latin) in local language computing.
A different usage where I suspect 8 bits proprietary fonts are used are electronic French (Grandjean) stenotypes, which use some non-unicode characters (like E without middle-bar). They are apparently used with computer software since the 1980’s (cf https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/jpa-00245165/document [pdf in French]) to make live subtitles. But I guess the proprietary nature of these characters and use by a single company (since ~1910) makes there encoding in Unicode unlikely.

  Frédéric