On 1/5/2016 1:22 AM, Frédéric Grosshans wrote:

Le mar. 5 janv. 2016 10:13, "Jörg Knappen" <jknap...@web.de <mailto:jknap...@web.de>> a écrit :

    I have looked up some printed sources and I agree with Michael
    Everson and Frédéric Grosshans that the
    beast in question is a variant of the greek letter tau (capital or
    lowercase).

The identification to τ is from Asmus Freytag, not me.

Mine is a concurring opinion based on ME's suggestion, but corroborated, in my view, by the systematic notational conventions and not merely informed by visual similarity.

A./

I have proposed another identity (TURNED ANGLE), and I only start to be convinced by the τ identification

  Frédéric