On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 19:02:19, Pierpaolo Bernardi  wrote:

> unicode says nothing about font technologies

It mentions them a little bit however in the core specifications:

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch23.pdf#G23126

> unicode does not mandate how to encode ligatures

Probably because Unicode specifies that «it is the task of the rendering
system» to select ligature glyphs on the basis of characteristic sequences of
characters in the text stream.

While having found some of the mentioned oddities in an old PDF file (ffi
ligature ending up as Y, ffl ligature as Z), I’m now really puzzled about
actual practise.

Marcel