30.9.2016, 19:36, Philippe Verdy wrote:

<mailto:jkorp...@cs.tut.fi>>:

    Using HTML, for example, the way to achieve that at present would be
    to use markup like <span class="sub">...</span> (to avoid the
    problems caused by the default formatting of <sub> and <sup>) and to
    use a CSS style sheet that sets font-family suitably and uses
    OpenType font feature settings to select subscript or superscript
    glyphs. In practice, you would need to use @font-face to embed a
    suitable OpenType font. So it’s doable, but not trivial like just
    slapping <sub> and </sub> around some text.

Not needed. the <sup> and <sup> elements in HTML can be styled directly
as well (also with CSS)

For complex compounds, these subscript/superscripts are not enough and
specific layouts and symbols are needed

Certainly. Thinking of a mathematical expression with a superscript that has a superscript should be enough to demonstrate this.

My point, however, has been that there are many situations, in general texts and even in some specialized texts, where Unicode code points for superscripts and subscripts are very useful. It is therefore natural to ask why they are such incomplete sets; but I think this question has been answered in this discussion.

Yucca