On 11/04/2016 05:02 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

At any rate, this isn't Unicode's problem. Unicode would not be
creating anything in Klingon anyway!
Well, to be fair, I thought IPR was the primary reason Unicode had never
encoded the Apple logo either. I doubt that whether Unicode intended to
use such a character themselves was a factor. (Of course, users who
really wanted that character encoded are probably using 🍎 or 🍏
now.)
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

The Apple logo is just that: a logo. Unicode is/used to be explicitly NOT in the business of encoding logos, and only peripherally in the business of encoding cute Wingdings and icons. pIqaD is an *alphabet* for writing a *language*; that's a whole different situation, and one that is squarely in what Unicode is all about doing. "Should" the Apple logo have been encoded? Possibly, though there are a lot of reasons not to which do not depend specifically on IP (we'd have to encode all the other emblems of all the other computer companies also... not to mention gasoline companies, cereal companies...) Should pIqaD be encoded? It is my claim that it should, and that reasons not to are (mainly) limited to IP considerations. In which case, IP considerations need to be addressed, yes, but they should not pre-determine the decision of whether or not it's worthy of inclusion.

~mark