Quote/Cytat - Michael Everson <ever...@evertype.com> (Wed 21 Dec 2016 05:25:30 PM CET):

I still believe that we need INVISIBLE LETTER http://unicode.org/review/pr-41-invisible.pdf

I think that for the display of combining characters without a base character that the recommended NBSP makes no sense. NBSP is supposed to glue the characters on either side of it to itself. It makes sense that the following character, say COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT, would be glued to it. But why should the two of those be glued to whatever precedes?

I strongly support this. In our historical corpus of Polish

http://korpusy.klf.uw.edu.pl/en/IMPACT_GT_2/

we have in particular words ending with 'COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER O' (U+0366).

We had to precede the character with NBSP as the vase, but to preserve the correct segmentation into words we had to treat NBSP as a letter.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bień - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)