> On 4 Apr 2017, at 02:01, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsso...@telia.com> wrote:
>
>>> Book formatting? Old style book formatting still cannot use as
>>> sophisticated layouts as HTML can... (AFAIK).
>>
>> Yeah, but come on, the chief use of chess characters is to cite them inline
>> in text like any other symbol @ § % & and the other equally chief use of
>> chess characters is to set 8 × 8 chessboards which float in space in the
>> layout as figures. The layout requirement isn’t all that demanding that HTML
>> offers a major advantage.
>
> In case you missed it, the statement I made above was in *SUPPORT* of your
> proposal (in general, but not necessarily all details)…

It’s not easy to tell because couterapproaches suggested are not well specified
and really don’t seem to be practical.

It *is* important that there be an even number of characters in every row of 8
squares for fallback display to be better rather than worse, I think. I don’t
think it’s possible to ensure that the rendering engine every app displays the
fallback identically (Seems that Word and LibreOffice and Pages and Quark
display a little differently; this seems to be that they load glyphs from some
fonts before glyphs from others.

I found while setting the tables that it was convenient to have to remember
that every one of the 64 characters had to have VS1 or VS2 along with it.
Constructing a table from scratch and modifying and existing one both felt
easier with uniform encoding.

Michael Everson