Years ago this mailing list had some wonderful long discussions.

A similar such discussion may be interesting now on the topic of Colours - both
for emoji and otherwise, as recent developments could possibly be leading
towards a major change in Unicode.

A few days - including a weekend - before the recent UTC (Unicode Technical
Committee) meeting there appeared in the Current UTC Document Register for 2018
the following document.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18141-emoji-colors.pdf

I wrote some comments and sent them in as feedback. They are available as the
last listed item in the Encoding Feedback for that particular UTC meeting.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18117-pubrev.html#Encoding_Feedback

However, the original 18141-emoji-colors.pdf document has been revised twice
since that feedback and the following is the present version.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18141r2-emoji-colors.pdf

It seems to me that there are, in a Unicode context, at least two possible ways
that the use of a white square next to an emoji of a brown bear could "indicate
that an emoji has a different color".

One way is that the person viewing the white square next to an emoji of a brown
bear 'knows' that a white bear is intended and 'understands' that that is the
intended meaning - that could be useful as it is language-independent so
communication through the language barrier of mention of a white bear is
possible. I just wrote language-independent but I am wondering if 'knowing'
that and 'understanding' that mean that the use of those characters in that way
is part of an emoji-based language. I am not a linguist and maybe some people
who are linguists might like to comment on that and also maybe on the whole
notion of emoji characters being used to produce languages - not necessarily
constructed languages but also languages that are arising and evolving
naturally but at a much faster rate than natural languages evolved
historically.

Another way is that the rendering system displays an emoji of a white bear
instead of the white square next to an emoji of a brown bear.

Yet would what I have just referred to as an emoji of a white bear actually be
an emoji as such or would it be a "just" a picture glyph and not an emoji as
such as it is not a separately encoded character?

What makes the present situation interesting though and thus worth a discussion
is the following.

The new characters about colours are listed in sections 5 and 6 of the
following document.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18176-future-adds.pdf

Yet the minutes of the UTC meeting,

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18115.htm

has the following.

> Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Now maybe that was later overridden by later discussions yet not listed in the
minutes under Emoji Colors as such, but I am wondering if that refers to
whether, and if so, how, a white square next to an emoji of a brown bear could
be specified within The Unicode Standard so that such a sequence were to become
rendered as a glyph of a white bear.

Yet I am wondering if another set of characters, colour operators, should be
defined for such an automated purpose, yet also have a displayable glyph for
graceful fall-back display when automated rendering is not possible: the colour
operators being encoded in plane 14;  yet also having a mode where the colour
operator could be displayed as a zero-width space as an alternative graceful
fall-back display.

Yet colours are being talked about in relation to emoji. What about with other
characters, such as letters of the alphabet?

The encoding of colours is fascinating and may be the next big thing with
Unicode, so a discussion in this mailing list as to what is possible and what
is desirable could be of importance.

William Overington

Tuesday 15 May 2018