Theree are errors the descriptions of normalize_rows and
normalize_columns:
  1. Omitted explanation of the parameter t.
  2. *:= where /:= should have been.
Sorry about that.

The corrected comments are:

# normalize_rows(M,t) : L  - produce a row-scaled matrix such that,
#                            for every row i, the sum of the values in
#                            all columns is 1
#                                R[i][j] /:= sum(for every J) M[i][J]
#                            t is a required minimum magnitude
#                            for row sums to avoid divide-by-zero errors
# normalize_rows(t,M) : L  - synonym for normalize_rows(M,t)
#
# normalize_columns(M,t) : L - produce a column-scaled matrix such that,
#                              for every column i, the sum of the values
#                              in all rows is 1
#                              such that their sum is 1
#                                R[i][j] /:= sum(for every I) M[I][j]
#                              t is a required minimum magnitude for
#                              column sums to avoid divide-by-zero errors
# normalize_columns(t,M) : L - synonym for normalize_columns(M,t)