Hethcoat-III, Charles L wrote:
> Looking back a bit, no one seems to have followed up on an interesting
> suggestion someone made about using prime numbers to solve the puzzle.
> (Unfortunately, I have lost the original posting so I cannot credit the
> poster.)  I think the suggestion was to assign prime numbers to the
> letters of the alphabet and then do a product of the letter-values of
> the state names.  I haven't tested this idea.  Has anyone else?  Does it
> generate unusably huge numbers?  I'll try to do some experiments in this
> area ... maybe ... time permitting.

That's essentially a Goedel numbering scheme.  It's clever.  It could generate
large numbers if the input has long phrases (especially with lots of letters
near the end of the alphabet!)  I don't know if there's a performance advantage
over using the letters themselves to form the signature or not.

Both approaches are really doing the same thing - identifying the equivalence
class that the phrase belongs to.

--
Steve Wampler -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]