> Just an aside, I have downloaded the latest svn source, and the version
> date has not changed. Under what circumstances does this change?

I'm not sure if there is any well defined rule for changing version date.
In theory, this has to be changed every time a commit has been made to svn,
but this doesn't sound practical. The version date gets updated when the
version number changes. Other than that, usually the version date gets
updated every few months to reflect new changes/fixes to the language.
Icon/Unicon version number historically has only major and minor numbers,
but misses a revision number to reflect small gradual changes. Having the
same concerns you have, few months ago we decided to add few pieces of
information to "-features" output, which include the revision number. Here
are the new "fields":

CCompiler gcc 4.7.2   # C compiler/version used to build unicon
Revision 3516         # source code svn revision number at the
                      # time of building unicon
Arch x86_32           # 32 or 64 build

These are still experimental and might not be correct on all platforms, but
they are there. You can use the reversion number  to tell if two Unicon
builds are different, even if they have the same version date.

Cheers,
Jafar