Patryk Kotarski <patryk.kotar...@iubenda.com> wrote:
> Hello, dear unicorn devs,
>
> Quick question which I failed to find in previous issues on
> your archive and through search engines.

Thanks for checking, first :>

> Is there any specific reason for which many guides online
> suggest saving the “unicorn.sock” file into the
> shared_directory ? We’re running deploys through Capistrano
> and on recent updates we noticed that we had configured
> unicorn.sock to be stored in
> "[environment]/shared/sockets/unicorn.sock" and we do not
> understand the reason for it

I don't know, either, and I'm not sure if anybody here wrote
those guides.  It really doesn't matter a whole lot.

I do prefer shorter pathnames with fewer path components, though;
it lets the kernel do fewer dcache lookups to get to the socket.
Not sure how much for nginx in your case, but relative vs absolute
pathnames certainly mattered for git back in the day:
https://public-inbox.org/git/alpine.lfd.1.10.0806161723081.2...@woody.linux-foundation.org/