Hi,

 I don't use ubuntu, but compiling the kernel is always possible :)

 I think ubuntu has linux-source:

# apt-get install linux-source-2.6 kernel-package build-essential
# cd  /usr/src/
get the unionfs from http://download.filesystems.org/unionfs/unionfs-2.x/
# tar xvjf linux-source*
# cd linux-source
# cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
# zcat unionfs-version.diff.gz | patch -p1
# make-kpkg --revision-1 --append-to-version=mykerne1 kernel_image
kernel_headers
#  dpkg -i linux-image-your_new_kernel_version.deb

Regards,
Fernando Gomes