Erez Zadok:
> We are pleased to announce a major new release, Unionfs 2.3.  The changes
> here from the previous version (2.2.4) are:

Congratulations.

> Note that there are two major changes in this release, which is why we
> designate it a "major new release."
        :::
> 2. Based on recommendations we've received while at LSF'08 last month, we've
>    changed Unionfs to use the vm_operations->fault method, instead of
>    address_space_operations.  This makes unionfs's code smaller, runs
>    faster, removes a number of potential racy execution paths, and also
>    closes a couple of bugzilla bugs.  This change is significant, but is
>    only an internal implementation change: it shouldn't change any
>    user-visible behavior.  Note that this change affects unionfs releases
>    for 2.6.23 and newer kernels only.  (Plus, in the next couple of months
>    we'll be submitting kernel patches to fix the VFS/MM so stackable file
>    systems can support ->fault more cleanly.)

While I don't know what was recommended at LSF'08 last month, I believe
that you remember that it is I that suggested this approach to you.
<http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=119725691916244&w=2>
<http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=119755988904539&w=2>
<http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=119766721326870&w=2>

So I hope you to title/credit my name and AUFS about this approach in
unionfs.

And as I wrote before (see the url above), you need to lock to address a
race condition in page fault.

Junjiro Okajima