The issue here is that you are trying to load a module into a kernel it
wasn't built for. I doubt your unionfs compiled kernel is labeled
2.6.18-8.el5 so what it seems like is for some odd reason modprobe is
looking at the wrong modules and trying to install them. What is the
name of your unionfs kernel. Did you install the modules when you
installed your kernel?

Dave