In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Deepak Saxena writes:

> Hi,
>
> We are looking at deploying UnionFS to some of our users to solve some
> disk space issues and need a way to do so without requiring a core kernel
> image update.
>
> What I'm imagining is simply building and shipping unionfs.ko to implement
> our solution (mount tmpfs rw + jffs ro union and then provide a way for
> user to cleanup files), however, looking at the UnionFS patches (against
> 2.6.22), it looks like it depends on some changes to the VFS layer. It
> looks like mose of these I can ignore and update the UnionFS code to use
> the old APIs but I'd like to run this by the experts first:
>
> do_splice_from() -> vfs_splice_from()
>
>   We don't need splice functionality for our use case so I can just not
>   include this change and NULL out the UnionFS pointers.
>
> fsstack_copy_attr_all() interface change
>
>   We can just keep the old interface and pass the NULL
>
> spin-lock in fsstack_copy_inode_size()
>
>   We're !SMP, so I think we can safely ignore this.
>
> do_path_lookup() LOOKUP_ONE support
>
>   AFAICT from the UnionFS patch, this is not actually getting used though
>   the known issues file points this change out.
>
> lookup_one_len_nd() addition
>
>   From the comments in the known issues file, this seems to only be needed
>   for NFS which we are not using, so it may be possible to not include this
>   change and just call lookup_one_len() in the UnionFS code.
>
> Thanks!
> ~Deepak
>
> --
> Deepak Saxena - Kernel Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Deepak, you're on the right track indeed.  But just to be on the safe side,
I'd recommend copying the vfs-level fsstack code and such, into the unionfs
code base directly.  It'd be safer to use the newer code, even if you just
copy it over, instead of going back to older versions.

You may have to rename some function names order to avoid name clashes.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.

Erez.