We sometimes lose directory entries -- 'ls' or 'find' will not show
every file present.  The interesting thing is that if we reference the file
directly, it can be opened.  The missing files seem to share a common
prefix with other files present, but that may be coincidental.

We were able to work around this problem by forcing a copyup of all
directories -- by basically creating (then erasing) a file in each
directory on the unionfs:

for x in `find / -type d |grep -v ^/sys |grep -v ^/proc |grep -v ^/dev `; \
   do touch $x/.unionfsfix ; rm $x/.unionfsfix ; done

After this, all directory entries are visible and the system operates
fine.

As I haven't been able to find any reference to this problem in the
unionfs archives... any ideas?

(I realize 2.6.21.7 is old, but rebasing to a newer kernel will take a
 fair amount of work that we'd rather not underdake at the moment)

# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/root on /dev/shm/.rootfs type squashfs (ro)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /dev/shm/.featfs type squashfs (ro)
unionfs on / type unionfs
(rw,dirs=/dev/shm/.overlay=rw:/dev/shm/.featfs=ro:/dev
/shm/.rootfs=ro)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
procdev on /proc type proc (rw)
ptsdev on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AbsoluteValue Systems                 http://www.linux-wlan.com