In a message dated 11/8/08 5:55:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> .....I think Kingsessing is another Carnegie Library, like the one at 40th
> Street, and thus may not be available for any other use.
>
>  I am reminded of the skill and heroic efforts of Beth-Ann Johnson who
> helped save the Library at 40th Street and I fervently hope that she, and
> others
> like her, will get involved in saving the Kingsessing Library.
>
>  All the best!
>  Liz Campion
>
> Liz,

I wish this were a possibility, but for the 40th & Walnut Sts. library, it
was not the donation of Andrew Carnegie for the building which restricted
future
use - it was the donation of Clarence Clark for the land.

Clark's donation stipulated that if the land were ever to cease to be used
for a library, it would revert to the Clark family - which still exists.   It
was a clearly written deed restriction, and Mike Hardy found the paperwork to
prove it.   That helped Beth Ann Johnson, Friends of Walnut West Library, UC
Historical Society, UC Community Council, Mary Goldman, et al to stop the plan
that the library would sell to Penn the 40th St. corner with its historic, but
poorly maintained, building & move to fresh new rental space - they had nothing
they could sell!

It also helped that at the time, Robert Redford was being "courted" by Penn
to build a Sundance Theater across the street, in the space now occupied by the
Bridge.   While Redford was visiting the 40th & Walnut location, he looked
across the street and asked if the library there was a Carnegie library!   He
explained that he was really impressed by them.   So, that would have been an
awkward time for the Penn to knock it down.

I share your concerns & Tony's about the Kingsessing & Durham libraries.   It
seems awfully unfair that the library on Rittenhouse Square would remain open
while these, so important to young and often disadvantaged students, would
close.   Unfortunately, neither Kingsessing nor Durham seems likely to be able
to benefit from the sort of happy coincidences which kept Walnut West standing &
 open.   I don't know how the land for the Kingsessing library was acquired,
but I believe that it is farther west than Clarence Clark's holdings.   And
Robert Redford never opened a theater in University City after all.   So,
Carnegie or not, Kingsessing has no protection there.

We need to find something to substitute, as a cost cutting measure, or a way
to raise funds to keep the libraries open.   Not sure how to do either.

- Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor
3529 Lancaster Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19104
cell phone 215-356-7266 - office phone 215-222-4800 #113
personal fax 215-386-1345

AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other
Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)