In a message dated 9/29/2003 8:36:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Just a Note how come "SAFE STREETS" has never been implemented in a "Normal" Area of the city Mr. Street?  How come with all this extra money and effort you still have not impacted the crime situation?  Is it because you forced the criminals out of some streets and brought them here to Penn the land of easy pickings?

Caught Bill Cosby's ad for Mayor Street on TV Friday night, just before Hack. The point, I believe, is that Safe Streets has been implemented in normal neighborhoods, not in University City Village. Cosby says Street gives hugs and kisses in quiet ways -- tough love.

"PENN STUDENTS
>From the novel Four to Midnight, by Scott Flander

Penn students weren't like real people. They had an amazing sense of
entitlement, as if the world owed them everything. And they didn't seem
to have much use for us cops.
You'd be walking near the campus, in uniform, and a group of students
would pass by, and you'd smile and say hello, and they'd just ignore
you. Like you were just another blue-collar worker to them, someone to
clean the pool or take away the trash.
 But of course the moment they ran into trouble  the moment they needed
you  then they paid attention. Please, Officer, my apartment got broken
into, please, you've got to help me. And of course you do, because
that's your job. You didn't ask to be assigned to the police district
that had the Penn campus, but that was your tough luck  every district
has at least one undesirable neighborhood."

Attend Scott Flanders reading at Penn Bookstore Tuesday Sept 29??? at 7:00pm.

Ross Bender
http://rossbender.org